Saturday, June 26, 2010

Saturday!

Before coming to Taiwan, I received a page of information about what to expect while at THOGL. "You will feel like you've been run over by a truck" was something that stuck out to me while reading this. I thought, "Hmmm.... really? I wonder what that will feel like?" Now I know! By the end of each day, I am ready to crash. I love the babies and it's not that I don't want to be around them, but I just don't have the energy to pick up another baby. I will think "How many more days until the weekend?" and then remember that we don't really have weekends here.

BUT

Then I'm reminded that I depend on God for strength each day. GOD- who made the ground I stand upon. Who made each of the precious babies. Who gives me life and breath each day. HE is where I get my strength.

SO

Depending on my strength, yes, I will feel like I've been run over by a truck. But by GOD'S strength, I can finish each day strong. I can feed that one last baby before bed. I can hold the baby that won't calm down. Because HE will give me strength.

AND

I'm reminded over and over each day why I'm here. Some of the little things God has allowed me to experience that bring such joy are (in no particular order):

1. Watching parents meet their baby for the first time- seeing the joy and excitement... something I can't even begin to describe.
2. Seeing some of our little ones push themselves up to their knees, knowing they are trying so hard to crawl, but they just can't quite figure it out.
3. Hearing the stories of the volunteers, parents, staff and how they came here- realizing how blessed I was to have the childhood/ life I've had.
4. Spending each day with my sweet niece.
5. Looking on as the babies grab each others hands during play time- not just once, but over and over again.
6. Spending time each Saturday night in worship with the other volunteers
7. Listening to the older kids at the orphanage singing praise to God in their own language.
8. Seeing the older kids at the orphanage love on the babies during their devotions
9. Making new friends.
10. Watching the babies grow over the past two weeks- it's amazing how much each of them has grown in such a short amount of time. I can't even imagine how much they will have grown by the time I leave here.

Just thinking about those blessings from God gives me more energy. I just pray that I can remember His faithfulness and blessings as I begin to wear down. GOD IS SO GOOD!

2 comments:

  1. Beth, I needed to hear your thoughts on God today! I just cried after I read your blog. Thank you- chrissy

    ReplyDelete