Sunday, June 13, 2010

Good food, car rides, and exploring outside

I can't believe it's only been four days since I arrived at HoGL. It seems like it's been so much longer than that! I love the babies, but miss everyone from home. I finally feel like I have the schedule down, remember all the babies names, and am able to hold more than one baby at once. Now on to learning who has which bottle. I think right now I only know four of those!

The exterminator came on Friday, so we spent the day at the apartment the HoGL has available for when parents come to pick up their babies. It was an interesting day, but since I had only been there for a day, the change didn't seem too much for me. It was definitely different for some of the volunteers who are used to the routine and the babies were really glad to be back at "home" on Saturday morning. Staying at the apartment meant two car trips for us and the babies. Each of us grabbed two babies and hopped in the car! Amazingly, all the babies were pretty calm during the car rides.

Natalie and I were also able to go on another car ride yesterday when we took three of our babies to get their passport pictures taken. Once again, the car ride went well, but the photo session didn't go quite as well. Two of the three babies didn't seem to like getting their pictures taken. Oh well.... who has good passport pictures anyway? And they do tell you not to smile!



Here are some of the babies at the apartment. We didn't have cribs for all of them, so some of them got to experience sleeping on the bed for the night!








So I'm kind of a picky eater and don't generally try new things, so I've pretty much been sticking to just rice and fruit while I've been here, but they are the best foods here! The fruit is amazing and I know I'm going to be spoiled by it. I'm going to be so disappointed in all fruit when I come home. Some of their best fruits I've had so far are: pineapple, mango, watermelon, and grapes (they're huge!) The fried rice is pretty amazing too!

I went for a walk around the orphanage the other day and took some pictures.




The Front of the orphanage

Pretty flowers next to the orphanage

                                                                             The playground


This is where I sit to skype in the morning (if it's not raining).

You can see plenty of these lined up outside.
 If I understand correctly, the kids have to learn to drive
 one of these before they can drive a car.
 A lot of the older kids in the orphanage seem to have them.


More pretty flowers

2 comments:

  1. I praise the Lord that you are having fun! Glad to hear that things are going well. You are missed, but I know God is going to use you in amazing ways over there! Praying for you and your niece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sacrificially giving of your time to love and care for all these babies!

    ReplyDelete