Friday, June 4, 2010

If

One of my favorite books is "If" by Amy Carmichael. While reading it this morning, I came across a few quotes that I think will be very relevant for me in Taiwan.

"If I have not compassion on my fellow-servant, even as my Lord had pity on me, then I know nothing of Calvary love"

"If I put my own happiness before the well-being of the work entrusted to me; if, though I have this ministry and have received muchmercy, I faint, then I know nothing of Calvary love."

"If I myself dominate myself, if my thoughts revolve around myself, if I am so occupied with myself I rarely have 'a heart at leisure from itself,' then I know nothing of Calvary love."

"If I take offense easily; if I am content to continue in a cool unfriendliness, though friendship be possible, then I know nothing of Calvary love."

"If a sudden jar can cause me to speak an impatient, unloving word, then I know nothing of Calvary love."

"If monotony tries me, adn I cannot stand drudgery; if supid people fret me and little ruffles set me on edge; if I make much of the trifles of life, then I know nothing of Calvary love."

"If I am inconsiderate about the comfort of others, or their feelings,or even of their little weaknesses; if I am careless about their little hurts and miss opportunities to smooth their way; if I make the sweet running of household wheels more difficult to accomplish, then I know nothing of Calvary love."

"If something I am asked to do for another feels burdensome; if, yielding to an inward unwillingness, I avoid doing it, then I know nothing of Calvary love."

"If the ultimate, the hardest, cannot be asked of me; if my fellows hesitate to ask it and turn to someone else, then I know nothing of Calvary love."

No comments:

Post a Comment